Cricket (Acheta domesticus) populations are at their height at the end of the summer and early fall. Now that the nights are cooler, crickets begin to move indoors. They come inside looking for water, food and warmth.
When crickets find their way inside homes, sheds and buildings, they can damage clothing, carpeting and other fabrics including wool, cotton, silk, fur and synthetics. They can eat through large areas of fabric, and are especially attracted to clothes soiled with perspiration.
House crickets are nocturnal and usually hide in dark, warm places during the day. The male house crickets chirp to attract females and this annoyance may cause you many sleepless nights.
Their presence in large numbers invite other pests who consume them for food.
Things you can do:
1) Seal up entry points around your home or building - check your doors and windows, check for cracks in walls/foundations and fill them, check seals around exterior utility pipes. Check and repair all screens in windows and doors.
2) Reduce/eliminate moisture sources in and around your home or building - mow lawns and weed plant beds. Do not allow ivy and other ground covers to grow next to or up, the foundation.
3) If you store firewood - move it away from your home or building.
4) Remove tall weeds and leaf piles from the perimeter of your home or building.
5) Crickets are attracted to blue electric lights - change your outdoor lights to yellow bulbs or sodium vapor lamps.
If you are still having a problem - call a certified pest control professional - like AB-Con. We can help eliminate the invaders and can also repair any damage they may cause.
Serving South Jersey - Camden County, Burlington County, Gloucester County
*Image courtesy of Joseph Berger, Bugwood.org
South Jersey Cities Served: Atco, Audobon, Audobon Park, Barrington, Bellmawr, Berlin, Beverly, Blackwood, Brooklawn, Browns Mills, Burlington, Burlington City, Camden, Cherry Hill, Clayton, Clementon, Cinnaminson, Collingswood, Columbus, Delanco, Delran, Deptford, Edgewater Park, Eastampton, Evesham, Florence, Franklinville, Gibbsboro, Glassboro, Glendora, Gloucester City, Gloucester Township, Haddonfield, Haddon Heights, Haddon Township, Hainesport, Hammonton, Hi Nella, Laurel Springs, Lawnside, Lindenwold,Lumberton, Magnolia, Mansfield, Mantua, Maple Shade, Marlton, Medford, Medford Lakes, Merchantville, Moorestown, Mt. Ephraim, Mt. Holly, Mt. Laurel, Mt. Royal, Mullica Hill, Oaklyn, Palmyra, Paulsboro, Pemberton, Pennsauken, Pine Hill, Pitman, Riverside, Riverton, Roebling, Runnemede, Sewell, Sicklerville, Somerdale, Southampton, Springfield, Stratford, Swedesboro, Tavistock, Thorofare, Trenton, Turnersville, Vincentown, Voorhees, Washington Township, Waterford Works, Wenonah, Westampton, West Berlin, West Deptford, Westville, Williamstown, Willingboro, Winslow, Woodlynne, Woodbury, Woodbury Heights, Wrightstown